La Consolacion University Philippines
The La Consolacion University Philippines, formerly University of Regina Carmeli, and Colegio de Nuestra Señora del Carmen, is a coeducational Catholic school established and administered by the Augustinian Sisters of Our Lady of Consolation (ASOLC). The school was established in 1937 when Doña Estefania del Rosario Vda. de Jacinto, a sister of Mother Catalina de Jesus, OSA, donated a property for the education of the children of poor families in Barasoain. At that time, it was then the only educational institution in the locality.
In May 1937, five Augustinian Sisters with Sor Encarnacion delos Remedios as the Superior took charge of the school when it was formally opened. In June 1937, the school was blessed and dedicated to Our Lady of Mt.Carmel, Patroness of the Parish of Barasoain, Malolos.
Early Childhood Education and Elementary courses were initially offered. In 1940, three special vocational courses were opened: typing, stenography and dressmaking. The outbreak of World War II forced the closure of the school. However, upon the insistence of the Japanese occupation forces, the school re-opened and the secondary course was offered.
The operation of the school was temporarily put on hold with the arrival of the American liberation forces in 1945. However, the school reopened later that year. This time, new college courses were added to the school’s curriculum.